Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Bunch of Stuff (and Happy Birthday, Beans!)

We had a great weekend! Saturday we drove up to Cedar Falls to hang out with Grandma Neva, Aunt Pam and Uncle Dennis, Aunt Lois and Uncle John, the Johnson kids (Laura, my 16-year-old cousin, is now Will's very best friend), and my parents. We came home Saturday night and then on Sunday my parents drove down to Des Moines to hang with us and to visit Grandma Hazel and Grandpa Bud. We went to breakfast yesterday and and after a visit with Grandma and Grandpa, spent the rest of the beautiful day out in the yard. Well, Dave, Will, and Grandma Jean did...I spent lots of time researching our soon-to-be new car purchase. We're buying another Honda Civic. And keeping our old Honda Civic. We're going to be a two-Civic family. You're probably thinking we're crazy, right? A Civic with two kids? But you know what? It's really not that bad. Sure, it's small and we can't stretch out. But really, can the kids stretch out in their car seats? And no, it doesn't have much cargo space, but do we really need lots of cargo space? When you crunch the numbers with the way gas prices are today, it really only makes sense for us to buy a smaller vehicle. AND we're being good stewards of the Earth. So I can be smug about that. :)

(Hey Mom! Remember when you said I don't write much on my blog? I'm making up for it today!)

Last night Dave and I were awakened by Burt's gutteral growling and hissing at the open bay window in our bedroom. I jumped up and looked out and saw something grey scamper away- I assumed it was a cat. But a cat on our roof? About 30 seconds later Burt was at it again, and this time I saw a little raccoon face peering in the window. She wasn't to be deterred by my banging on the window or by Burt's fierceness (ha!), but the light of the bedroom made her run. Of course Dave had to Google raccoons on roofs and found that they often try to nest in attics and chimneys. Weird. But for for your viewing enjoyment, we also YouTubed raccoons and found this funny video...

http://

3 comments:

Heather said...

That video is priceless! Yes, they are theives... hence the mask! YAY on the car! Hey... it's not like you go camping every other weekend and need tons of space for the gear, right? LOL! I'm jealous of the $$ you'll save on gas!

Heather said...

Whoops! I spelled thieves wrong!

Sarah said...

Crazy about the raccoon! I can imagine that was a rude awakening for all involved. YAY for a new car! :D I hope you like it, you good steward you.